Customer Service Standards
These are Revenues Customer Service Standards. They tell you about the standard of service delivery you can expect from us.
We want to make it easy for you to do business with us. We aim to provide the service you need quickly and without fuss. To help us to help you, we ask that you have your tax reference number and necessary details ready when contacting us.
We aim to provide a high quality service. To test the quality of our telephone service, we record calls. We also test how easy it is to use our electronic services to make sure they are as simple as possible. Letters from customers are carefully managed to give replies quickly. We use customer surveys, customer panels and focus groups to hear directly from the public about their experience of dealing with us.
We will carefully protect information you give us. Taxpayers' details are treated confidentially. We have a secure email system for use by business taxpayers and tax advisors. This means we can securely send and receive e-mail messages that contain sensitive business information.
Our service delivery can vary between peak and off-peak periods. The nature of our business means that demand for services can be very high from December to March and during October each year. We very much appreciate your patience and understanding during these peak periods. To avoid being caught up in peak period delays you can use our online services, PAYE anytime and ROS.
- We will make it as easy as possible to get general information on Revenue matters.
- The Revenue website will contain up-to-date information on all Taxes and Duties for business customers, tax advisors and individual taxpayers.
- The website also provides relevant contact information including a contact locator which you can use to find your local tax office.
- Our public offices provide an information service to callers. A wide range of information leaflets is also available in each public office.
- The Aertel Teletext Service on RTE 1 (Page 591) has general information on Revenue, including information on tax credits.
- We will continue to simplify our leaflets and forms. Our goal is to use plain language that is easily understood.
- You can now carry out much of your business with Revenue online. Our online services include PAYE anytime for PAYE taxpayers and ROS for business taxpayers. These services are free, fast and easy to use.
- We will process returns, declarations and applications filed through ROS within 5 working days.
- We will deal with claims for tax credits or tax refunds or offsets made through ROS within 5 working days (except where a claim is selected for routine checking).
- Customs import/export declarations lodged through the Automated Entry Processing (AEP) system will be dealt with immediately.
- Tax Clearance Certificates applied for on the Revenue website will be processed within 5 working days.
Written returns and correspondence
Non-ROS Returns, Declarations, Applications and Repayments/Offsets
We will process all returns, declarations, applications and claims for repayment or offset according to the following standards:
- 80% within 10 working days
- 100% within 20 working days
We will reply to letters clearly and accurately within the following times:
- 50% within 10 working days
- 85% within 20 working days
- 100% within 30 working days
Where a full reply cannot be sent within 30 days we will write to taxpayers and explain why, and will tell you when to expect a full reply.
We will answer 90% of calls to our 1890 services on the first time of ringing, and if you choose to speak to an operator you can expect to be answered within the following timeframes:
- 50% of calls within 30 seconds
- 85% of calls within 3 minutes
- All calls will be answered within 5 minutes*
Our staff will give their names, be polite and friendly and give you the information that you need. We will ensure confidentiality in dealing with your calls. Calls are recorded for quality assurance purposes.
*In peak periods it may take longer to answer calls. Peak period for PAYE customers is from December to mid-March. Peak period for business/corporate customers is from end-January to end-February and end-September to mid-November.
Public Office Visits
If you choose to call in to one of our offices we promise friendly and helpful service.
In our public offices you can expect to speak to a member of staff within an average of 10 minutes.
- We will register 100% of cases within 5 working days (10 working days for VAT).
- For PAYE customers registering for PAYE anytime, passwords will be issued within 5 working days by ordinary post.
- For business customers registering for ROS, there is a three-step registration process and passwords will normally be issued within 8 working days by ordinary post.
- For business customers registering for secure email, passwords will normally be issued within 3 working days by ordinary post.
Advice to businesses and tax advisors: Revenue Technical Service
The Revenue Technical Service, established on a regional basis, will provide advice on technical queries. We will reply to complex technical queries within 20 working days; where a full reply cannot be issued within 20 days we will send an interim reply and indicate when you can expect a detailed reply. The RTS is supported by a secure email facility.
Revenue Technical Service Guidelines (PDF 274KB)
We will automatically renew an existing certificate, for a maximum period of 4 years, provided your tax affairs are up-to-date. We will issue new certificates within 5 working days provided the required conditions are met.
- We will ensure that our offices are accessible to people with special needs and that a quality service is provided. Our accessibility statements and contact details for Revenues Access Officers can be found on the Revenue website.
- We will ensure that our website and online services are accessible.
- Cuirfear seirbhís ar fáil do chustaiméirí ar mhian leo a ghnó a dhéanamh trí mheán na Gaeilge. Tá foilseacháin, treoirleabhair agus foirmeacha ar ár suíomh gréasáin. Tá na sonraí faoin réimse seirbhíse leagtha amach inár Scéim Teanga, atá ar fáil ar an suíomh gréasáin.
- We will provide a service to those who wish to conduct business in Irish. Publications, forms and leaflets are available on our website. Details about the level of service provided is set out in our Irish language Scheme which is available on our website.
- Information is available in a number of other languages on the Revenue website and in Public Offices to help our customers to do business with us.
Complaints and Appeals
- If you are unhappy with any aspect of our Customer Service we will deal with your complaint impartially, within 20 working days.
- If we have made a mistake we will say we are sorry and put it right as quickly as possible.
- Anyone who is unhappy with how we have dealt with their tax affairs can ask for a review. These reviews are done by an independent senior Revenue officer with or without the help of an external reviewer from outside the public service. Reviews are handled promptly. The review system does not affect a taxpayers right to appeal to the independent Appeal Commissioners or to the Courts.
- Information about how to make a complaint to us is set out in Revenue Customer Service leaflet CS4.
We are committed to tracking our progress in the delivery of these Customer Service Standards. We will measure our performance against the standards set out in this document and publish the results in our Annual Report.