Finance Act 2000 introduced the "gross roll-up tax regime" in respect of both investments made in Investment Undertakings and in Life Assurance policies. Essentially, the investments are allowed to grow tax-free until such time as a chargeable event occurs. Exit tax is charged on any gain accruing between the date of acquisition and the date of the chargeable event. Some entities and individuals are exempted from the exit tax by completing the declaration form appropriate to their particular circumstances. The Revenue-approved format for such Declaration Forms may be found only in the Appendix to the Guidelines referred to below.
General Guidelines for calculating tax due and for completing declaration forms for both the Investment Undertakings regime and the Life Assurance regime are available via the links below.
- Investment Undertakings Guidelines (PDF, 783KB)
- Guidance on Tax Treatment of Investments in Exchange Traded Funds (PDF, 61KB)
- Life Assurance Companies - General Guidelines for Calculating Tax Due and for Completing Declaration Forms (PDF, 734KB)
Forms specific to Investment Undertakings are also available via the links below.
- Form IU(3e) (PDF, 200KB) - Agreed format of the "De Minimis" Election by an Investment Undertaking Report - Section 739E(2A)(a)(ii), TCA 1997 refers
- Form CCF1 (PDF, 626KB) - Agreed format of Report by a Common Contractual Fund – Section 739I refers
- Form EUT1 (PDF, 222KB) - Statement by (Exempt) Unit Trust for Year of Assessment
- Form REIT1 ( PDF, 213KB) - Notice by a company electing to be a REIT – Section 705E(1) TCA 1997 refers
- Form REIT2 ( PDF, 211KB) - Notice by the principal company of a group electing to be a group REIT – section 705E(2) TCA 1997 refers
- Form REIT2A ( PDF, 149KB) - Notice by the principal company of a group that a named company is a member of a group REIT – Section 705E (3A) TCA 1997 refers
- Form REIT3 ( PDF, 321KB) – Statement by Real Estate Investment Trust for accounting period – Section 705M TCA 1997 refers
- Dividend Withholding Tax (DWT) Declaration and Distribution Details REIT ( PDF, 266KB)
- Dividend Withholding Tax Refund Claim Form REIT - Claim from or on behalf of Certain Non-Resident Person for refund of DWT. ( PDF, 459KB)
- Form ILP1 ( PDF, 656KB) – Statement by Investment Limited Partnership for Year of Assessment – Section 739J(3) TCA 1997 refers
- List of Distributing Offshore funds approved by the Revenue Commissioners in accordance with section 744 TCA 1997. ( PDF, 157KB)
EU Savings Directive (EUSD)
Specified Financial Transactions
Finance Act 2010 introduced a regime to tax certain Islamic financial transactions in the same way as conventional financial transactions.
Guidance notes on the tax treatment of Islamic Financial Transactions are available via the blink below.
Forms specific to Islamic Financial Transactions are available via the links below.
- Form SFT1: Financial Undertakings Specified Financial Transactions (PDF, 214KB)
- Form SFT2: Qualifying Company Specified Financial Transactions (PDF, 197KB)
Recognised Clearing Systems
"Recognised Clearing Systems" for the purposes of Section 64, Section 246A and Section 739B of the Taxes Consolidation Act 1997.
- Recognised Clearing Systems (PDF, 47KB)
Section 110 Taxes Consolidation Act 1997
Section 110 TCA 1997 provides for a special tax regime for certain special purpose companies. In order to be taxed under the provisions of section 110 TCA 1997 a company must, among other conditions, notify an "authorised officer" of the Revenue Commissioners that it is or intends to be a "qualifying company" to which paragraphs (a) to (e) of the definition of a "qualifying company" in Section 110(1) TCA 1997 apply.
Form S.110 - Notification of "Qualifying Company" Section 110 Taxes Consolidation Act, 1997
- The Section 110 Notification must be returned to the "authorised officer" within 8 weeks of the date the conditions of paragraph (e) being met by the "qualifying company."
This Section 110 Notification is to be printed and completed manually or, completed on screen, then printed (with a copy retained for your records) and returned to Revenue at the address shown on the Notification
- Form S.110 - Notification of "Qualifying Company" for the purposes of Section 110 Taxes Consolidation Act 1997 (PDF, 143KB)
Form S.110W - Withdrawal that a company is a "qualifying company" for the purposes of Section 110 Taxes Consolidation Act, 1997
A company that
- no longer satisfies the criteria of a "qualifying company", or
- wishes to withdraw the original "qualifying company" notification
should submit Form S.110W [Form S.110W [Withdrawal that a company is a "qualifying company" for the purposes of Section 110 Taxes Consolidation Act, 1997]. Where the form is a withdrawal of notification, it must be returned to an “authorised officer” within 8 weeks of the date the company first ceases to be a "qualifying company" for the purposes of Section 110 TCA 1997.
- Form S.110W - Withdrawal that a company is a "qualifying company" for the purposes of Section 110 Taxes Consolidation Act, 1997 (PDF, 556KB)