Business Taxes

Corporation Tax

Corporation Tax is charged on all profits of companies resident in the State, with some exceptions, and non-resident companies who trade in the State through a branch or agency.

This tax is charged on the company’s profits which include both income and chargeable gains. A company’s income for tax purposes is calculated in accordance with Income Tax rules. Chargeable gains are calculated in accordance with Capital Gains Tax rules

Further information on Corporation Tax is available at Taxes & Duties/Corporation Tax.

Income Tax and Employer’s PAYE

Subject to certain exceptions and exemptions, income tax is chargeable on all income arising in the State to individuals, partnerships and unincorporated bodies.

The most common form of income tax is PAYE or Pay As You Earn deducted by employers from pay. Self-assessment applies to the self-employed and those with income from non-PAYE sources.

Further information on Income Tax is available at Taxes & Duties/Income Tax.

Relevant Contracts Tax (RCT)

RCT applies to payments made by a principal contractor to a subcontractor under a relevant contract (this is a contract to carry out, or supply labour for the performance of relevant operations in the construction, forestry or meat processing industry). RCT applies to both resident and non-resident contractors operating in the construction, forestry or meat processing industry.

Further information on Relevant Contracts is available at Taxes & Duties/Relevant Contracts Tax.

Value Added Tax (VAT)

Value-Added Tax is a tax on consumer spending. It is collected by VAT-registered traders on their supplies of goods and services effected within the State, for consideration, to their customers. Generally, each such trader in the chain of supply from manufacturer through to retailer charges VAT on his or her sales and is entitled to deduct from this amount the VAT paid on his or her purchases.

Further information on Value Added Tax is available at Taxes & Duties/VAT.

Vehicle Registration Tax

Vehicle Registration Tax is chargeable on the registration of motor vehicles (including motor-cycles) in the State. All motor vehicles in the State, other than those brought in temporarily by visitors, must be registered with the Revenue Commissioners. A vehicle must be registered before it can be licensed for motor tax purposes.

Information for motor traders is available at Taxes & Duties/VRT/Information for Traders.

Pay & File System and Preliminary Tax

Income Tax and Capital Gains Tax

The Pay and File system provides the facility for you, on a single due date – 31 October, to:

  • Pay your Preliminary Tax for Income Tax purposes for the current year,
  • File your tax return for the previous tax year for Income Tax and Capital Gains Tax, and,
  • Pay any balance of Income Tax due for the previous year.

The due date of 31 October is also known as the ‘specified return date’.

Further information is available at Pay & File System and Preliminary Tax

Corporation Tax

The Self-Assessment system 'Pay & File' applies to companies. The obligations of a company with regard to paying Corporation Tax and filing its return are as follows:

  • Compute and pay its preliminary tax liability by the specified date..
  • Complete and file, on line, a Form CT1 and where applicable a Form 46G (Company). Notes on the completion of these forms, any supporting documentation required, filing dates and surcharges applicable for the late filing of same are set out in the Corporation Tax Forms section of our website.
  • Pay, on line, any balance of tax due when lodging the return i.e. within nine months of the end of the accounting period, subject to the 21/23 day rule. (The specified return date and payment due date is the 21st day of the applicable month. This date is extended to the 23rd of the applicable month for companies who file their return and pay any associated tax due via Revenue’s Online Service (ROS)).

Under the Mandatory Electronic Filing and Payment of Tax Regulations companies are obliged to electronically file their returns and pay their tax using ROS.

Further information is available at Pay & File System and Preliminary Tax (Corporation Tax)

Third Party Returns

Who should make Third Party Returns?

Traders (including farmers), professionals and other persons carrying on a business, as well as non-trading/non-profit making organisations and bodies of persons (including charitable organisations, Government Departments and statutory bodies such as Health Boards) are required to automatically make Third Party Returns.

Further information is available at Third Party Returns - Automatic Return of Certain Information

Back to Top

Print this page