Taxation of social welfare payments - Illness Benefit (IB)


The three main types of social welfare payment made by the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection (DEASP) are:

  • contributory payments, for example, IB, which is based on your Pay Related Social Insurance (PRSI) contributions
  • non contributory payments, for example, Jobseeker's Allowance, which is based on a means test
  • universal payments, for example, Child Benefit, which is not based on PRSI contributions, and is not means tested.

This section will explain how IB and Occupational Injury Benefit, both contributory payments, are taxed. It will also explain how you include these benefits in your payroll.

Next: Taxing IB and Occupational Injury Benefit