File a Stamp Duty return
What is the Stamp Duty return service?
This is a service that enables you to file your stamp duty return online. Stamp duty is a tax charged on certain written documents known as 'instruments'. If you are liable to pay stamp duty, your return will contain information about the instrument which is chargeable to stamp duty.
Once you have filed your return you must pay the stamp duty that is due. This will include any interest, surcharges or penalties that have been incurred. We will then issue you with a stamp certificate, which is proof that your instrument has been stamped by us.
Who is the service for?
You can use this service if you need to file a Stamp Duty return. The service provides a secure means to file a stamp duty return and pay the Stamp Duty due, including any interest, surcharges or penalties that have been incurred.
What you need to use the service
You will need the following information to use the service:
- Tax reference number of each party to the instrument.
- the Local Property Tax (LPT) property ID if the instrument is dated on or after 1 May 2013. This is relevant if the instrument is a conveyance or transfer of residential property. The LPT property ID is generally available from the vendor.
The e-stamping system will automatically generate an LPT number for the property If:
- the residential property is new and
- an LPT number has not already been allocated to it.
How to access the service
If you are registered for the Revenue Online Service (ROS), this service is available from the 'My Services' homepage and by following these steps:
- select the 'File a Return' option from 'Complete a Form-Online'
- select 'Stamp Duty' from the 'Tax Type' option list
- select 'Stamp Duty Return' from the 'Select a return type' option list
- click the 'File Return Button'
- enter relevant informationfor the Stamp Duty return.