eForm 12

What is the eForm 12?

The eForm 12 is the electronic version of the paper pdfForm 12 (PDF, 450KB) and allows you to complete a return of your income and claim tax credits, allowances & reliefs (including any health expenses) electronically for the year ended 31 December.

The Form 12 is to be completed by a person whose main source of income is from a PAYE employment or pension or a non-proprietary company director who pays all his or her Income Tax under the PAYE system. PAYE taxpayers are not required to complete a Form 12 unless requested to do so by Revenue. However, they may choose to do so themselves. PAYE taxpayers with a source of non-PAYE income such as rental income are obliged to notify Revenue of this additional income source so that any possible tax due can be collected through the PAYE system, if/as appropriate.

The electronic form is simpler to complete than the paper version. It includes certain important information from your Revenue record to help you complete your Return. You only need to complete the sections of the Form that are relevant to you.

Capital Gains Tax (CGT)

The eForm 12 does not provide for the return of Capital Gains Tax details. If you, (or your spouse or civil partner, if relevant), disposed of any chargeable assets in the year for which you are using the eForm 12, you will need to complete a separate CGT return for that purpose and submit it to your Revenue office. Further information on Capital Gains Tax.

How to access the eForm 12

The eForm 12 can be accessed as follows:

  • By clicking on the link on the PAYE Services card in myAccount. 
    If you are not registered for myAccount you can do so by logging on to www.revenue.ie and selecting Register for myAccount.
  • Tax agents using Revenue On-line Service (ROS)
    The ROS option only applies where the tax agent's client is not already registered for Income Tax (i.e. a chargeable person, who must complete a Form 11).

What you need to complete the eForm 12

  • Personal Public Service Number (PPSN)
  • Your Form P60 for the year ended 31 December (if in employment at year end)
  • If you are Married or in a Civil Partnership and assessed to tax under Joint Assessment, your spouse or civil partner’s Form P60 for the year ended 31 December (if in employment at year end).

Information and Support

  • If you require assistance in completing this form or have any queries in relation to the information provided on the form, you should contact your Revenue office, the number for which can be found using the contact locator.
  • If you are experiencing technical computer difficulties in accessing or navigating the eform you should contact the ROS Helpdesk on 1890 20 11 06.

eForm 12 FAQS


Page updated January 2017

Print this page