Revenue eBrief No. 72/09
28 October 2009
New VAT Act - Consultation with Interested Parties
Revenue is in the process of drafting a new VAT Act to modernise and consolidate the current legislation and is inviting views from the legal profession, accountancy bodies and tax practitioners on the proposed legislation.
The structure of the new Act will be loosely based on the structure of the VAT Directive 2006/112/EC and the new Act is divided into Parts and Chapters accordingly. The table below contains links to each Part, which for convenience has been put into separate documents so that they can be easily accessed. In addition there is a link to a destination table, which shows where every provision of the existing VAT Act can be found in the new structure.
The Schedules to the new VAT Act are divided up so that they more clearly reflect their origins in terms of the corresponding provision or rule in the Directive.
The draft also takes on board the changes that will be made in the current VAT Act by the new Place of Supply rules, new VIES rules and the new Refund Directive rules, due to come into effect on 1 January 2010, as well as the new VAT provision to take account of NAMA.
- Part 1 - Subject Matter and Scope (PDF, 78KB)
- Part 2 - Accountable Persons (PDF, 138KB)
- Part 3 - Taxable Transactions (PDF, 69KB)
- Part 4 - Place of Taxable Transactions (PDF, 62KB)
- Part 5 - Time when Tax Chargeable is Due (PDF, 48KB)
- Part 6 - Taxable Amount (PDF, 71KB)
- Part 7 - Rates(PDF, 70KB)
- Part 8 - Exemption, Remission & Repayment (PDF, 87KB)
- Part 9 - Deductions (PDF, 177KB)
- Part 10 - Obligations of Accountable Persons (PDF, 167KB)
- Part 11 - Special Schemes (PDF, 168KB)
- Part 12 - Immovable Goods (PDF, 235KB)
- Part 13 - Refunds (PDF, 58KB)
- Part 14 - Interest Payable by the Revenue Commissioners (PDF, 30KB)
- Part 15 - Powers of the Revenue Commissioners (PDF, 92KB)
- Part 16 - Compliance Measures (PDF, 113KB)
- Part 17 - Appeals (PDF, 34KB)
- Part 18 - Continuity Provisions (PDF, 28KB)
- Part 19 - Repeals & Revocations (PDF, 20KB)
- Part 20 - Care & Management of Tax (PDF, 16KB)
- Schedules to the VAT Act (PDF, 138KB)
- Destination Table (MS Excel, 275KB)
Comments should be submitted by email only to firstname.lastname@example.org with New VAT Act Consultation in the subject line. The closing date for receipt of comments is 4 December 2009.