Rent Tax Credit

Back to Top

Who can Claim?

An individual, paying for private rented accommodation used as a sole or main residence. This includes rent paid for flats, apartments or houses.


Rent paid to Local Authority tenancies, Army, etc.

Back to Top

Relief Due

Over 55 - Single, Widowed or Surviving Civil Partner, Married or in a Civil Partnership - See charts.

Under 55 - Single, Widowed or Surviving Civil Partner, Married or in a Civil Partnership - See charts.

Back to Top

Documentation Required

Where to send claim

Use your PPS number to find the postal address for your Revenue office in our contact locator.

Reference Material

Section 473 TCA 1997

Additional Information

Rent payable for premises outside the State is also allowable (No Territorial limit).

Back to Top

Mortgage Interest Relief

If at any point you have a mortgage and are in receipt of Tax Relief at Source you should advise your local Revenue Office immediately as you may no longer be entitled to Rent Relief and your Tax Credit Certificate might need to be adjusted.

Back to Top

Can the Rent Tax Credit be claimed if the Tenant is living with their parents?

Where Rent Relief is being claimed in respect of rent paid by a child to their parent, the parent will not qualify for the Rent-a Room exemption and will be required to declare their Rental Income to Revenue at the end of the year. See IT 70 - A Revenue Guide to Rental Income for further information on rent-a-room relief.

Back to Top

Non - Resident Landlords

Where rent is paid to a landlord who is not resident in the State, certain obligations may arise for the tenant. If the landlord has an agent in the State to whom the rent is paid then no obligations arise. If however rent is paid directly to the landlord (this includes payment directly into a bank account held by the landlord) then the following actions must be taken. The tenant must deduct 20% of the rent due from the amount paid over to the landlord. This 20% must then be remitted to Revenue. The local Revenue Office should be contacted to make the appropriate arrangements for the collection of this charge. The remaining 80% of the rent due should be paid over to the landlord. At the end of the year the tenant should furnish the landlord with a completed pdfForm R185 - Certificate of Income Tax Deducted (PDF, 47KB). This form gives details of the amount of the rent that was paid over to Revenue. The landlord can then claim this amount as a credit on their annual Tax Return.

Tax years 2011 to 2017 inclusive

Credit for rent paid will be withdrawn on a phased basis over the next 7 years. To see the maximum amount of the credit that will be due, see Leaflet IT 1.

The credit for the years 2011 onwards applies to individuals who were renting a propety on 7 December 2010. No credit is due to individuals who began renting after 7 December 2010.

(Adobe Acrobat Reader PDFExternal link)

Back to Top

Print this page