Deposit Interest Retention Tax (DIRT)

How do you declare DIRT?

You must include any deposit interest you received in your tax return. You need to enter the total interest payment before the deduction of DIRT.

The type of return you must complete depends on whether you are registered for self-assessment or a Pay As You Earn (PAYE) worker.

If you are self-assessed

You should include any DIRT on your Form 11 in Section F ‘Income from fees, covenants, distributions’. Use Revenue Online Service (ROS) to submit your Form 11.

If you are a PAYE taxpayer

You should include any DIRT on your Form 12 under ‘Irish Deposit Interest’. Use myAccount to submit your Form 12 online through PAYE Services. This only applies if your taxable non-PAYE income (including income subject to DIRT) is less than €5,000.

If you have taxable non-PAYE income of €5,000 or more, you must register for self-assessment and file a Form 11 for that year.

Next: Who is charged DIRT?