Deposit Interest Retention Tax (DIRT)

Who is exempt from DIRT?

You can receive interest without paying DIRT (DIRT-free account) in certain conditions. To do this, you must complete a declaration form stating that you, your spouse or civil partner are:

  • 65 years of age or over when making the declaration. Your total income for the year, including the interest, must be below the annual exemption limit.
  • permanently incapacitated due to a physical or mental disability.

If you are a trustee of a special trust for permanently incapacitated individuals, you can apply for an exemption from DIRT. You must be the holder of this account. The trust must meet the following conditions:

  • it is set up only for the benefit of one or more permanently incapacitated persons
  • the funds of the trust are from subscriptions given by the general public
  • the specified incapacitated person(s) must own the funds in the account.

DIRT is not charged on interest from the accounts of:

Forms to complete

If you are over 65 years of age, complete a Form DE1 and send it to your financial institution.

If you are permanently incapacitated, complete a Form DE2 and send it to your Revenue Office. We will tell your financial institution that you are exempt from paying DIRT.

You will need a separate form for each account you hold. These forms are available from your financial institution.

Next: Changes to the status of DIRT-free accounts