Maintenance payments


This section explains what types of maintenance payments you can receive from a former partner and how they are taxed.

A former partner refers to a:

  • separated or former spouse
  • separated or former civil partner
  • or
  • former cohabitant who you lived with for:
    • two or more years, where you have children together 
    • or
    • five or more years, where you have no children together.

A cohabitant cannot have been married during the cohabiting period.

If you make maintenance payments rather than receive them, see Maintenance Payments Relief.

Next: Legally enforceable maintenance payments