Exchange of information

What is the Common Reporting Standard (CRS)?

The CRS is the agreed global standard for AEOI, approved by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) in February 2014. Ireland is one of over 100 countries that have signed up to CRS.


The OECD has published the Standard for Automatic Exchange of Financial Account Information in Tax Matters (the CRS) and an Implementation Handbook. The CRS sets out:

  • what is to be reported
  • who reports
  • the CRS XML Schema User Guide.

The Implementation Handbook contains further guidance on the CRS.

S.I. No. 583 of 2015 contains details of the due diligence required by Irish financial institutions for CRS.

Revenue has guides for the implementation of CRS in Ireland and how certain fields in CRS returns should be completed. See Ireland’s published list of participating jurisdictions for CRS.

When and how is the information exchanged?

Irish financial institutions must report the details of these accounts to Revenue by 30 June each year. Revenue will exchange this information with the jurisdiction of tax residence of the account holder by 30 September each year. Revenue will only exchange information, where there is a legal basis to do so, through secure electronic channels.

How do you file a CRS return?

Financial institution should use Revenue Online Service (ROS) to register for the CRS reporting obligation. If you do not have access to ROS, you need to register as a reporting entity. This can be done by completing a Reporting Entity Registration Form. If you are an agent representing a reporting entity, you can register your client through ROS. Once registered as a reporting entity you will be able to access ROS and register for the CRS reporting obligation. You can then send CRS returns to Revenue through ROS. See the CRS and the Filing Guidelines for DAC2-Common Reporting Standard (CRS) for more information in relation to the format of your CRS return.

See the Filing Guidelines for DAC2-Common Reporting Standard (CRS) for more information on how to:

  • register as a reporting entity
  • register for a reporting obligation
  • file a return.

Next: What types of financial institution report to Revenue under FATCA and CRS?