Customer service standards
Commitments and standards
- prioritise our online channel over other channels
- provide online services that are easy to use, secure, quick and reliable
- notify you, where possible, if your transaction has been selected for further checking
- provide a ROS helpdesk service to assist you in using our online services
- provide help and assistance to you in switching to our online services
- continually review the information on our site to ensure it is up-to-date and written in plain language to make it easy for you to understand.
Registration for our online services will be completed as follows:
- Revenue Online Service (ROS) for business customers: Steps in authentication process completed within one working day
- myAccount for all other customers: 90% within five working days and 100% within ten working days.
Online tax registrations will be completed as follows:
- Income Tax (IT), Corporation Tax (CT) and Employer Pay As You Earn (PAYE) or Pay Related Social Insurance (PRSI) (PREM): 100% within three working days unless the registration is selected for further checking.
- Value-added Tax (VAT) and Relevant Contracts Tax (RCT): 100% within ten working days unless the registration is selected for further checking.
Returns and declarations will be processed within two working days, unless the return or declaration is selected for further checking.
Refunds will be issued within five working days unless the claim is selected for further checking.
Queries through MyEnquiries will be dealt with within 20 working days and 25 working days during peak periods.
Electronic tax clearance will be granted immediately where a taxpayer's tax affairs are up-to-date. We will immediately inform a taxpayer of outstanding issues where tax affairs are not up-to-date, except in a small number of cases where additional checking is required.
Written tax returns and correspondence
Non-ROS returns, declarations, applications and repayments or offsets
We will process all returns, declarations, applications and claims for refunds or offset according to the following standards, unless they are selected for further checking:
- 80% within 10 working days
- 100% within 20 working days.
We will reply to letters clearly and accurately within the following times:
- 50% within 10 working days
- 85% within 20 working days
- 100% within 30 working days.
Where a full reply cannot be sent within 30 days we will write to taxpayers and explain why, and will tell you when to expect a full reply.
We will answer 90% of calls to our 1890 services on the first time of ringing, and if you choose to speak to an operator you can expect to be answered within the following timeframes:
- 50% of calls within 30 seconds
- 85% of calls within three minutes
- All calls will be answered within five minutes.
Our staff will give their names, be polite and friendly and give you the information that you need. We will ensure confidentiality in dealing with your calls. Calls are recorded for quality assurance purposes.
In peak periods it may take longer to answer calls.
Public office visits
If you choose to call in to one of our offices we promise friendly and helpful service. You should note that many of our public offices provide an appointments service.
In our public offices you can expect to speak to a member of staff within an average of ten minutes.
- We will register 100% of cases within five working days (ten working days for VAT), unless the registration has been selected for further checking.
- For PAYE customers registering for myAccount, a temporary password will be sent instantly (in most cases) to your mobile number, email address or posted to you if that was your preferred option. Where we are unable to verify your details, we will contact you for additional information.
- For business customers registering for ROS, there is a three-step registration process and passwords will normally be issued within eight working days by ordinary post.
Advice to businesses and tax advisors: Revenue Technical Service (RTS)
The Revenue Technical Service, established on a regional basis, provides advice on technical queries. We will reply to complex technical queries within 20 working days; where a full reply cannot be issued within 20 days we will send an interim reply and indicate when you can expect a detailed reply. The RTS is supported by a secure online facility, MyEnquiries.
For more information see Revenue Technical Service (RTS).
Register for myAccount.
We will process paper tax clearance applications from non e-enabled or non-resident customers only, and reply within five working days. Tax clearance is subject to periodic review within the year. Taxpayers must be compliant and keep tax affairs up-to-date in order to maintain tax clearance.
- We will ensure that our offices are accessible to people with special needs and that a quality service is provided. Our accessibility statements and contact details for Revenue's Access Officers can be found on the Revenue website.
- We will ensure that our website and online services are accessible.
- We will provide a service to those who wish to conduct business in Irish. Publications, forms and leaflets are available on our website. Details about the level of service provided is set out in our Irish Language Scheme which is available on our website.
Complaints and appeals
- If you are unhappy with any aspect of our customer service we will deal with your complaint impartially within 20 working days.
- If we have made a mistake we will say we are sorry and put it right as quickly as possible.
- Anyone who is unhappy with how we have dealt with their tax and duty affairs can ask for a review. Full details of how this process works are contained in Revenue's customer service leaflet 'How to complain to Revenue' below. The review system does not affect a taxpayer's right to appeal to the independent Appeal Commissioners or to the courts.
We are committed to tracking our progress in the delivery of these customer service standards. We will measure our performance against the standards set out in this document and publish the results in our annual report.