Customs advice for truck drivers using Irish ports

Inbound to Ireland

What you need

  • No customs declaration is required for empty loads.
  • In the following circumstances, only the Master Reference Number (MRN) for the Entry Summary Declaration (ENS) is required:
    • Entry In Declarant's Records (EIDR)
    • Transfer of residence
    • Transfer of business activities.
  • For all other loads, you must have an MRN for an ENS (as above) and at least one of the following:
    • Customs import declaration
    • Customs simplified declaration
    • Transit declaration (TAD).

The relevant MRNs will be provided to you by your employer or the business for whom you are moving the goods.


If you do not have the appropriate documentation you will not be allowed to board the ferry and you will experience delays.

Next: Get your channel on arrival