Temporary admission of medical, surgical and laboratory equipment
You can use the temporary admission procedure to import certain medical, surgical and laboratory equipment from outside the European Union (EU).
If you use this procedure you may have to provide security or pay import duties on deposit. You can reclaim this when you re-export your goods.
The instruments and apparatus must be:
- urgently needed and intended for diagnostic or therapeutic purposes
- sent on loan at the request of a hospital or other medical institution
- imported by a hospital or medical institution.
Rules on temporary admission of medical, surgical and laboratory equipment
There are general rules for temporary admission about:
- goods remaining unchanged
- time allowed
- import and re-export procedures
- prohibitions and restrictions.
The importer must present a declaration from the hospital or medical institution where the equipment is to be used. This declaration must state that the equipment:
- is for diagnostic or therapeutic purposes
- was requested due to exceptional circumstances and required urgently as its own facilities are inadequate
- is on loan.
If you need further information contact Authorisations and Reliefs Unit.