Gift and Inheritance Tax (Capital Acquisitions Tax – CAT)

Adverse possession

You might acquire land by adverse possession (often called squatter’s rights). If you do, you can apply to the Property Registration Authority (PRA) to be registered as the owner under the Land Registration Rules 1972.

Before you can register the title, you must have a Capital Acquisitions Tax Clearance Certificate, Form CA12. There is also a Self-Certification Form I.T. 76 that can be used by solicitors in situations where the property involved is under a certain value.

Next: Powers of revocation