Capital Gains Tax (CGT) on the sale, gift or exchange of an asset
CGT Clearance Certificate (CG50A)
You require a CG50A certificate if you sell:
- an asset on or after 25 March 2002 for over €500,000
- a house or apartment on or after 1 January 2016 for over €1 million.
How do you get a CG50A?
To obtain a CG50A from us, you must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- be a resident in this country
- have paid CGT on the disposal (if it is due).
What happens if you do not get a CG50A?
The buyer is obliged to withhold 15% of the purchase price from you. This is known as Section 980. The buyer will then provide you with a Form CG50B. This will allow you to reclaim the amount withheld by them from us at a later date.
How to apply for a CGT50A
Send a Form CG50 with a copy of the contract of sale:
Can an agent apply for CG50A for you?
Your agent may apply for CG50A for you (the vendor). This application must include your:
- name and address
- Personal Public Service Number (PPSN) if you are resident in Ireland.