Capital Gains Tax (CGT) on the sale, gift or exchange of an asset

CGT Clearance Certificate (CG50A)

You require a CG50A certificate if you sell:

  • an asset on or after 25 March 2002 for over €500,000
  • a house or apartment on or after 1 January 2016 for over €1 million.

How do you get a CG50A?

To obtain a CG50A from us, you must meet at least one of the following criteria:

  • be a resident in this country
  • have paid CGT on the disposal (if it is due).

How to apply for a CGT50A

Applications for CG50A can be made online in myAccount or the Revenue Online Service (ROS) by selecting:

  • Other services
  • then Capital Gains Clearance (eCG50) facility.

More details on how to apply online are available in the Guide for Applicants (TDM 42-03-01a).

Can an agent apply for CG50A for you?

Your agent may apply for CG50A for you (the vendor). This application must include your:

  • name and address
  • Personal Public Service Number (PPSN) if you are resident in Ireland.

Other documentation may be required dependant on the application. 

What happens if you do not get a CG50A?

The buyer is obliged to withhold 15% of the purchase price from you. This is known as Section 980. The buyer will then provide you with a Form CG50B. This will allow you to reclaim the amount withheld by them from us at a later date. Form CG50B can also be obtained online via the Capital Gains Clearance facility in myAccount or ROS.

Support for non e-enabled customers

Revenue will continue to provide support to customers who are unable to submit applications online. You can continue to send a Form CG50 with a copy of the contract of sale and other relevant documentation. This can be sent to your Revenue office by post or via MyEnquiries.