Buying goods online for personal use
How to pay your import charges
- For goods being imported by post:
- An Post will calculate the amount of charges you owe.
- They will attach a customs docket to your package with details of the amount of import charges owed.
- For goods being imported by courier:
- The courier will calculate the amount of charges you owe.
- Most couriers pay the import charges directly to Revenue on your behalf and recoup the import charges from you.
You must pay these charges to An Post or the courier before they will release your goods to you.
If you are a regular importer, Revenue may ask you to register for an Economic Operators Registration and Identification (EORI) number.
Next: How to claim a refund of Customs Duty and Value-Added Tax (VAT)