Emergency tax

Avoiding emergency tax on private pensions

You might receive a private pension:

  • paid by your former employer
  • through a pension company
  • from your deceased spouse's or civil partner's pension provider.

To avoid having emergency tax deducted from this pension you can:

When your pension provider receives the RPN, they can use it to calculate your tax and Universal Social Charge (USC).

A Tax Credit Certificate (TCC) will also be issued to you. You will be able to view, print or download your TCC in My Documents in myAccount.