Apply for the Help to Buy (HTB) incentive
The HTB online service allows you to apply for the HTB incentive, if you are an eligible first-time buyer. It also allows you to claim for a refund of Income Tax and Deposit Interest Retention Tax (DIRT) that you have paid. This refund can be from any or all of the 4 years before you make your application.
Who is the service for?
This service is suitable for you if you are:
- One or more individuals who buy or self-build, a house or apartment for the first time
- a first-time buyer of a home, who buys or self-builds on between 19 July 2016 and 31 December 2021
- a first-time buyer of a house or apartment who buys or self-builds the property as their home.
What you need to use the service
If you are a PAYE taxpayer, you must have submitted a Income Tax Return. You must also have a Statement of Liability for each of the years you intend to claim a tax refund.
If you are a self-assessed taxpayer, you must have fully compliant tax affairs. That means you must have paid and filed for all tax years in which you were liable for tax. You must also have a Tax Clearance Certificate.
If you are purchasing a new build, you must ensure that the contractor is a qualifying contractor. Only qualifying contractors can approve your HTB claim.
Information needed to claim for HTB online
To claim for HTB online, you will need:
- the name(s) and Personal Public Service Number (PPSN) of all those listed on the mortgage
- a copy of the contract (if purchasing)
- the purchase date (if purchasing) or proof of the date of the drawdown of the first part of the mortgage (if self-building)
- the purchase price (if purchasing) or approved valuation (if self-building)
- the deposit payable and amount of deposit paid. This is not needed for self-builds,
- evidence of the date of the draw down of the first part of the mortgage (if self-building)
- a copy of the Valuation Report from the lender (if self-building)
- refund account details (must not be the loan account) (if self-building)
- the name and address of the mortgage institution
- your loan application number
- the qualifying loan amount
- the amount of DIRT relief that you previously claimed. This only applies if you claim for a house bought or self-built before the 31 December 2016.
How to access the HTB incentive online service
If you are accessing this service through myAccount, click 'Help To Buy' on the 'Property Services' card.
If you are accessing this service through the Revenue Online Service (ROS), click on the 'Help to Buy' card on your ROS home screen.