Apply for the Help to Buy (HTB) incentive
What is the HTB incentive online service?
This is an online service that allows you to apply for the HTB incentive if you are an eligible first-time buyer. It also allows you to claim for a refund of income tax and Deposit Interest Retention Tax (DIRT) paid over the previous four tax years.
Who is the service for?
The HTB service is suitable for you if you are:
- an individual who buys or self-builds a home or apartment for the first time
- a first-time buyer of a home who buys or self-builds on between 19 July 2016 and 31 December 2019
- a first-time buyer of a home or apartment who buys or self-builds the property as their home.
What you need to use the service
- If you are a PAYE taxpayer you must have a Form 12 submitted. You must also hold a P21 end of year statement for each of the years you intend to select for a tax refund.
- If you are a self-assessed taxpayer you must have fully compliant tax affairs, including a Tax Clearance Certificate. That is, you must have paid and filed for all tax years in which you were liable for tax.
- If you are a purchaser of a new build you must ensure that the contractor is a qualifying contractor. Only qualifying contractors can approve your HTB claim.
Information needed to claim for HTB online
You will need the following information to claim for HTB online:
- name(s) and Personal Public Service Number (PPSN) of all those listed on the contract
- details of each first-time buyer
- copy of the contract (if signed) and evidence of the mortgage
- purchase date or completion date
- purchase price
- deposit payable and amount of deposit paid (not applicable for self-builds)
- name and address of the mortgage institution
- loan application number (not applicable for self-builds)
- qualifying loan amount
- amount of DIRT relief previously claimed (only applicable if claiming for a house bought or self-built before the 31 December 2016).
How to access the HTB incentive online service
If you are accessing this service through myAccount, click 'Help To Buy' on the 'Property Services' card.
If you are accessing this service through ROS:
- click on the 'Help to Buy' card on your ROS home screen.