Claim tax relief on vehicles for qualifying organisations
What is the tax relief service for drivers and passengers with disabilities?
This is an online service that allows your organisation to apply for a refund of Value-Added Tax (VAT) and Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT) on the purchase of an adapted vehicle. The vehicle must be purchased by your organisation for the transport of persons with disabilities.
Successful applicants are also eligible to apply for a fuel grant and a motor tax exemption for that vehicle.
Who is the service for?
This service is for organisations intending to purchase an adapted vehicle. The adapted vehicle must be used to transport persons with disabilities.
What you need to use the service
You will need the following information to claim the tax relief online:
- your Tax Reference Number (TRN)
- your bank account details
- vehicle details (VIN number, fuel type, adaptations to the vehicle, vehicle type, engine capacity)
- the Value-Added Tax (VAT) number of the garage where the vehicle was purchased
- details around the vehicles seating capacity and the total number of persons being transported
- supporting documents (quotation for vehicle, quotation for adaptions and organisation accounts).
How to access the service to claim tax relief
If you are a ROS-registered customer, this service is available by following these steps:
- click on the 'Other-Services’ section
- select the ‘Drivers and Passengers with Disabilities’ tab
- click on 'Claim tax relief on a vehicle to be purchased for use by Qualifying Organisations (DDO)'
- follow the on-screen instructions.