Return a Mortgage Interest Relief (Tax Relief at Source - TRS) overpayment
Is there an online service for returning an overpayment of TRS?
Yes, there is an online service that enables you to repay an overpayment of TRS. An overpayment can occur where mortgage interest relief was paid in respect of a ‘non-qualifying residence loan’.
Who is the service for?
You can use this service if you are registered for TRS and wish to repay an overpayment.
What you need in order to use the service
You will need the following information to use the service:
- your registration details for myAccount or the Revenue Online Service (ROS)
- your mortgage account number
- the amount that you would like to repay
- your credit card, debit card, or international bank account number (IBAN) and Bank Identifier Code (BIC) details.
How to access the service
If you are accessing the service through myAccount:
- click 'Make a Payment' on the 'Payments/Repayments' card on your myAccount dashboard.
If you are accessing the service through ROS, follow these steps:
- click on the ‘My Services’ section from the ROS main menu
- in the ‘Payments & Refunds’ section, select the payment type of ‘Tax Payment/Declaration’ and tax type of ‘TRS’
- click on the ‘Make Payment’ button.