Medical insurance premiums

If you pay medical insurance directly to an approved insurer then tax relief will be automatically given to you by them. Payments may be for you or your dependents. This includes premiums deducted from your pay or pension by your employer or pension provider and paid over to the insurer.

You do not need to claim the tax relief from Revenue. The tax relief is calculated by the insurer and the cost of your policy is reduced by this amount.

Relief due

The relief is limited to the cost of the policy up to a maximum of €1,000 per adult and €500 per child. A child is under 18 years of age, or under 23 years of age if in full-time education.

From 1 May 2015, all individuals over 21 years of age are allowed to claim the cost of the policy up to a maximum of €1,000. 

Policies paid by employers (as a Benefit-in-Kind)

Your employer might pay medical insurance to an approved insurer for you or your dependents as a Benefit-in-Kind. If so, you can claim tax relief from Revenue for the premiums paid. If you are jointly or separately assessed, you can also claim for payments for your spouse or civil partner.

Use myAccount to claim the credit on your Form 12 if your employer pays medical insurance for you or any of your dependents.  You must provide the following information:

  • the date the policy started
  • who is covered on the policy and their ages
  • a breakdown of the cost of the policy for each person
  • the amount paid by your employer.

If your employer only pays a portion of your policy the relief is restricted to that amount. You will receive the remainder of the relief, if any, directly through Tax Relief at Source (TRS).

Approved medical insurers

  • Aviva Health Insurance Ireland Ltd.
  • Elips Insurance Limited (Laya Healthcare)
  • VHI Healthcare DAC
  • Great Lakes Reinsurance (UK)
  • HSF Health Plan Ltd.

Approved medical insurers with restricted membership

  • ESB Staff Medical Provident Fund
  • The Goulding Voluntary Medical Scheme
  • Irish Life Assurance Medical Aid Society
  • Irish Life Assurance plc Outdoor Staff Benevolent Fund
  • Prison Officer’s Medical Aid Society
  • St Paul's Garda Medical Aid Society.

To be a member you must be or have been employed by the organisations concerned.