Start your own Business Relief

Who qualifies for this relief?

You may qualify for this relief if you have been unemployed for 12 months or more. During those 12 months, you must have received one of the following as set out on the Department of Social Protection (DSP) website:

  • Crediting PRSI Contributions
  • Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Jobseeker's Benefit
  • One Parent Family Payment
  • Partial Capacity Payment.

Breaks in Jobseeker's Benefit or Allowance

You may have a break in your claim for Jobseeker's Benefit or Allowance. In certain circumstances you may still qualify for Start Your Own Business Relief.

Taking up employment that did not work out

A situation may arise where you have to stop claiming Jobseeker's Allowance or Benefit in order to start work. If that job does not work out you may be able toclaim Jobseeker's Allowance or Benefit again. 

Determining long term unemployment

If you reclaim Jobseeker’s Benefit/Allowance within a 12 month period, your period of long term unemployment is calculated by linking your:

  • current period of unemployment
  • and
  • earlier period of unemployment.


You can only link two periods of unemployment if they are separated by less than 12 months.

Next: Are there any restrictions for your business?