Start your own Business Relief

Who qualifies for this relief?

You may qualify for this relief if you have been unemployed for 12 months or more. During those 12 months, you must have received one of the following as set out on the Department of Social Protection (DSP) website:

  • Crediting PRSI Contributions
  • Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Jobseeker's Benefit
  • One Parent Family Payment
  • Partial Capacity Payment.

Breaks in Jobseeker's Benefit or Allowance

You may have a break in your claim for Jobseeker's Benefit or Allowance. In certain circumstances you may still qualify for Start Your Own Business Relief.

Taking up employment that did not work out

You might stop claiming Jobseeker's Allowance or benefit in order to start work. If this work does not work out, you might start claiming Jobseeker's Allowance or Benefit again within 12 months. Your current period of unemployment will be linked to your earlier period of unemployment when determining long-term unemployment.

You can only link two periods of unemployment if they are separated by less than 12 months.

Attending training courses or schemes

Any time that you spent on certain training courses and schemes will be treated as part of your period of unemployment.

You might stop claiming Jobseeker's Allowance or Benefit for a period to take part in a training course. If you receive an allowance for the course, it is treated as if it were Jobseeker's Allowance or Jobseeker's Benefit.

Qualifying training courses and schemes include Further Education and Training courses, Community Employment schemes, Job Initiative and Back to Education schemes.

You can work for up to three days per week while still retaining your Jobseeker's Allowance or Benefit. If this is the case, you will be treated as unemployed and will be allowed claim this relief if you start a new business.

Next: Are there any restrictions for your business?