Cost rental dwelling repayment scheme (83F)

You may qualify for a partial refund of Stamp Duty if your property is designated as cost rental dwelling by the Minister for Housing, Local Government and Heritage. Section 83F of the Stamp Duties Consolidation Act, 1999 allows for this partial refund of Stamp Duty. The refund applies to relevant residential units that were liable to the 10% rate of Stamp Duty.

Qualifying conditions

To qualify the following conditions must be met:

  • you filed a Stamp Duty return in respect of a relevant residential dwelling
  • you paid the 10% rate of duty paid in full
  • Revenue issued a stamp cert
  • the property is designated as a cost rental dwelling within 6 months following the purchase
  • a copy of the cost rental designation document
  • and
  • the term is for a minimum of 40 years.

When can you claim?

You can claim a refund once a copy of the cost rental designation registered with the Registry of Deeds. refund should be claimed within 4 years from the date the property is designated as a cost rental dwelling. he refund is the difference between the 10% rate and the standard rate of duty applicable to residential property. The standard residential rate is 1% on values up to €1m and 2% on values exceeding €1m.

The refund is calculated using the formula A-B where:

  • (A) is the Stamp Duty paid at 10%
  • (B) is the Stamp Duty payable at the standard rate for residential properties.

How can you claim?

You need to make your claim online through the eRepayments system. You can log into eRepayments through your Revenue Online Service (ROS) or myAccount.

You need to upload the following documents with your claim:

  • a copy of the cost rental designation
  • a signed declaration
  • and
  • a signed consent form (See below).

Where there are multiple accountable persons, you should decide which accountable person makes the claim and receives the refund. A consent form, signed by all accountable persons should be uploaded with your claim. Claims are approved online and the payment is lodged to the bank account of the claimant.

If Revenue refuses your claim, we will notify you of the reasons. You have the right to appeal a refusal of your claim to the Tax Appeals Commission.