What are construction operations?
Construction operations include:
- Constructing, altering, repairing, extending or demolishing:
- buildings or structures
- works that are part of the land.
- Installing, altering or repairing:
- air conditioning
- water supply systems
- telecommunications systems.
- Cleaning buildings internally and externally in the course of their construction, alteration or repair (not including normal maintenance).
- Works which are an essential part of, are in preparation for or are completing other construction work. This includes:
- laying foundations
- erecting scaffolding
- site restoration
- providing roadways and other access works.
- Works that form an essential part of, are in preparation for, or complete works such as drilling for minerals, oil, natural gas or other natural resources.
- Transporting someone else's materials or machinery for use in any of the activities listed above (known as ‘haulage for hire’).
See the Construction Operations Manual for a complete list of all operations.
Next: Are you self employed or an employee?