Revenue eBrief No. 035/22
15 February 2022
Help to Buy (HTB)
Tax and Duty Manual Part 15-01-46 - Help to Buy (HTB) - has been updated as follows:
- Paragraph 1 has been updated to confirm that Finance Act 2021 extended the enhanced HTB relief to 31 December 2022.
- Paragraph 2.3 specifies that claims relating to the retrospective period must have been made prior to 31 December 2019.
- Definitions have been provided for each of the following terms:
- first-time buyer- paragraph 4
- qualifying residence – paragraph 5
- qualifying period – paragraph 6
- qualifying loan – paragraph 7.1
- qualifying lender – paragraph 7.3.
- Paragraph 8 outlines the tax compliance requirements for both self-assessed and PAYE taxpayers.
- Paragraph 11 details the HTB process and breaks it down into three different stages:
- application stage – paragraph 11.1
- claim stage – paragraph 11.2
- verification stage – paragraph 11.3.
- References to repayment of DIRT under Section 266A TCA 1997 (first-time buyer DIRT relief) have been removed. The provisions of s.266A do not apply post 31 December 2017.