Revenue eBrief No. 001/23
06 January 2023
Universal Social Charge
Tax and Duty Manual Part 18D-00-01 - Universal Social Charge - has been updated to reflect the following changes resulting from the passing of Finance Act 2022:
- Paragraph 4 has been updated to account for the increase in the USC rate thresholds in line with increases to the National Minimum Wage.
- Paragraphs 6.1 and 11.3 have been updated to confirm that employer contributions to a PEPP (Pan-European Pension Product) are not considered relevant emoluments for the purposes of USC.
- Paragraph 11.2 has been updated to reflect that from 1 January 2023 employer contributions are not considered a taxable benefit in kind following an amendment to section 118 TCA 1997.
- The following USC exempt payments have been added to the list of exemptions in paragraph 12.2:
- Section 192J - Electricity costs emergency benefit payment
- Section 192JA - Payments under Electricity Costs Emergency Benefit Scheme II
- Section 192K - Pandemic Special Recognition Payment
- Section 192L - Ex Gratia Payment in Respect of an Incorrect Birth Registration
- Section 192M - Payments under Covid-19 Death in Service Ex-Gratia Scheme for Health Care Workers
- 192N - Payments in relation to Ex-Gratia Scheme for Community Employment Scheme Supervisors and Assistant Supervisors.
- Paragraph 13 has been updated to confirm that the reduced rate of USC for medical card holders has been extended for one further year, to the 2023 year of assessment.