When are penalties payable to Revenue?
Penalties for deliberate or careless behaviour can arise if you:
- deliberately or carelessly furnish an incorrect return
- make an incorrect claim or declaration
- fail to file a return due.
The penalties applied are based on the difference between:
- the amount of tax paid or claimed if any
- the amount properly payable or refundable.
Where a tax geared penalty is incurred by a body of persons such as:
the secretary may be liable to a separate penalty of €1,500 or €3,000 in the case of deliberate behaviour.
Further guidance contains more detailed information on Revenue’s Code of Practice and Compliance.
Next: Fixed penalties