What is VAT?

Exemption from VAT

If you make exempt supplies you are a taxable person, but not an accountable person in respect of such supplies.

You are not entitled to register for Value-Added Tax (VAT) in respect of your supply of exempt goods and services, unless you also make taxable supplies.

VAT registration will refer to your taxable supplies only.

If you make an exempt supply of goods or services, you are not entitled to reclaim VAT incurred on expenditure in connection with the exempt supply.

Exempt suppliers may be required to register and account for VAT in respect of intra-Community acquisitions and services from abroad. 

For special provisions relating to property, see VAT on property and construction.

Next: What is reverse charge (self-accounting)?