Importing vehicles from Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Registering vehicles without proof of declaration to customs in Northern Ireland
If you do not have proof of declaration to Customs in Northern Ireland (NI):
- you must complete a Customs Declaration
- pay Value-Added Tax (VAT) at the standard rate and Customs Duty, where applicable.
This must be done before presenting the vehicle for registration.
When presenting such a vehicle for registration at the National Car Testing Service (NCTS) centre, a check is carried out to verify that a Customs Declaration in respect of the vehicle has been completed. The Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) must be included on the Customs Declaration so that this check can be made. You will also need to provide:
- the foreign registration document (the V5C from the United Kingdom)
- a copy of the Customs Declaration including the reference number of the Customs Declaration (the MRN)
- any other supporting documentation.