Buying goods online for personal use
How to claim a refund of Customs Duty and Value-Added Tax (VAT)
In certain circumstances, it may be possible to receive a refund of customs duties paid, provided the goods you bought have been returned to the seller.
You cannot claim a refund until after payment of the customs charges.
Parcels delivered by An Post
If your goods were delivered by An Post, you must contact An Post directly. The contact details should be included in any correspondence received in connection with your delivery.
Parcels delivered by a courier or express carrier
You should contact the company who delivered your parcel. The contact details should have accompanied your parcel.
In all cases, you should submit the following to claim a refund
- Your full name and address.
- The reason for your refund request, for example, returns or replacements.
- Proof of payment of Customs Duties and VAT.
- A copy of the invoice, and any other relevant documents.
- Proof that the goods were returned, for example, an email from the seller stating that the goods have been returned.
If you require further information, you can contact Customs.