Taxation of benefit-in-kind

Payment of employee tax by the employer

If you want to pay the tax due on your employee's benefits, you must arrange this with Revenue. We have special arrangements for minor benefits which are paid on an occasional or irregular basis.

Special arrangements do not apply to:

Calculating tax (grossing-up)

If you want an employee to receive a benefit without affecting their net pay, you must increase the benefit amount entered in payroll. This increased benefit allows you to deduct the employee's rate of tax, leaving the employee with the original benefit value.

If you pay your employee’s tax on a benefit, this will not count as income. The employee cannot claim credit for tax you have paid. The employee also cannot count the Pay Related Social Insurance (PRSI) which you have paid towards their own records.

The increased benefit is called the grossed-up amount. The following example shows how this is calculated.

Covering tax on regular benefits

You may pay the tax due on regular benefits to employees. This does not include major benefits, such as cars. The grossed-up benefit amount and the taxes paid by you must be included in the payroll of the employee. Your employee will get credit for the PAYE and USC paid and a PRSI record for the contributions made.