Taxation of benefit-in-kind

Spreading tax over the year

You must pay Pay As You Earn (PAYE), Pay Related Social Insurance (PRSI) and Universal Social Charge (USC) to the Collector-General on a benefit-in-kind. This tax must be paid for the pay period in which you provided the benefit.

Deducting the tax in one pay period may cause them hardship. If it does, you may spread the tax due on an employee's benefit over several pay periods in the year. You must still pay the full PAYE, PRSI and USC due to the Collector-General in the period the benefit arises.

The annual value of a benefit is spread over the pay periods in which the benefit arises for:

PAYE, PRSI and USC can be calculated on the benefit for each pay period.

Next: Payment of employee tax by the employer