You may receive a gift or inheritance of the following:
- works of art
- scientific collections.
If you do, these are exempt from Capital Acquisitions Tax (CAT) if the following conditions are satisfied:
- The item is of national, scientific, historic or artistic interest.
- The item is kept permanently in the State.
- The item is available to view by members of the public.
Heritage exemption also applies to house and gardens in the State not used for a trade provided that:
- During the three years prior to the date of gift or inheritance, members of the public have been allowed access.
- Following the gift or inheritance, members of the public are allowed access.