Importing vehicles from Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Registering vehicles from Northern Ireland (NI)
Registering vehicles brought into NI before 1 January 2021
A vehicle brought into NI before 1 January 2021, and which has remained there since, can be registered in the State with no customs obligations. However, proof of the vehicle’s status in NI prior to 1 January 2021 will be required, for example:
- a ferry ticket showing the date of arrival in NI, and which clearly identifies the specific vehicle
- a copy of an invoice from a transport company identifying the vehicle and delivery date
- tax and insurance details indicating use in NI
- a copy of the V5C showing the last registered keeper in NI and a date of registration to that keeper prior to 1 January 2021.
Registering vehicles whose first UK registration after 31 December 2020 is in NI
A vehicle first registered in NI after 1 January 2021 can be registered in the State without providing proof of its customs status where it meets the following conditions:
- the registration in NI was the first registration of the vehicle in the United Kingdom (UK)
- the vehicle has never been exported and, or re-registered in, Great Britain or any other country outside the European Union.
Next: Vehicles imported from or routed through Northern Ireland (NI)