Remotely working from home
How to claim Remote Working Relief
How you claim Remote Working Relief will depend on if you are claiming for 2021, 2020 or 2017-2019.
Remote Working Relief claim for 2021
To claim for 2021 you must upload receipts and images of bills paid in 2021 using Revenue Receipts Tracker App (RRTA) or Receipts tracker myAccount. The receipt image must be clear, readable and show that you paid the bill amount claimed.
You will need to complete your 2021 Income Tax Return at the end of the year in order to claim the relief.
Remote Working Relief claim for 2020
You can upload receipts and bills paid in 2020 using RRTA or Receipts tracker myAccount. You must upload clear, readable and relevant receipt images that show you paid the bill amount claimed.
Amounts of bills paid uploaded by you will be available in your 2020 Income Tax return.
If you do not upload receipts and bills you must retain the originals for a period of six years.
You must complete your 2020 Income Tax Return in order to claim the relief. You will need to sign into myAccount:
- on the 'PAYE Services' card, select 'review your tax' 2017-2020
- Select the 2020 Income Tax Year and select submit
- in 'Tax Credits and Reliefs' select 'Your Job' tab select 'Remote Working Relief'
This short video will explain how to claim for 2020:
Remote Working Relief claim for 2017 to 2019
It is your responsibility to retain proof of payment. Please retain all documentation relating to a claim for six years.
Complete an Income Tax return at the end of the year, sign into myAccount:
- click on ‘Review your tax’ link in PAYE Services
- select the Income Tax return for the relevant tax year
- in ‘Tax Credits & Reliefs’, select ‘Other PAYE Expenses’
- insert the amount of remote working expense in Amount Claimed.
To make a claim you must have incurred the expense.
Next: Provision by employer of computers and additional equipment