Starting your first job

What you should do

Register for Income Tax

When you start working for the first time, you need to register your job as soon as possible. This is to avoid paying emergency tax. You must do this even if your job is part-time or temporary.

To do this, you must:

Register your new job

When you receive your myAccount password, you will be able to register your new job. To register, click on the ‘Add Job or Pension Details’ link under the ‘PAYE Services’ tab in myAccount. We will work out the tax credits that you can claim.

View your Tax Credit Certificate (TCC)

You will be able to view your TCC within two working days. To view your TCC, click on the ‘Manage your tax’ link in ‘PAYE Services’ in myAccount. You can also view your TCC in myDocuments at the top of the home page in myAccount.  

Revenue will send your employer a copy, known as a Revenue Payroll Notification (RPN), showing your total tax credits and rate bands. Your employer can then make the correct tax deductions from your pay.

Next: How your tax is calculated