Registering child minders as employees

If you have children, you might hire a childminder, nanny or au pair to care for them in your own home. If so, you may have to register as an employer. This means you must keep proper records of your employees and deduct tax from the money you pay them.

You must register as an employer if you pay your childminder or employee:

  • €40 or more a week
  • or
  • if you have more than one childminder or employee concurrently.

Further information

You can find more information about being an employer in Employing people.

You can find more information about your tax options for caring for children in Childcare services and Home Carer Credit sections.