How to submit Suspicious Transaction Reports (STRS)
Who is this service for
On 7 September 2020, Revenue introduced changes to how Suspicious Transaction Reports (STRs) are submitted. Reporting Entities and Money Laundering Reporting Officers (MLROs) are required to submit all STRs to Revenue, using Revenue‘s Online Service (ROS) only. Revenue no longer accepts hard copy (paper) STRs from that date onwards.
Reporting Entities should continue to submit STRs to both Revenue and the Financial Intelligence Unit (FIU), as dual reporting remains a requirement.
New enhancements to online services for Reporting Suspicious Transactions
Enhanced online services allows Reporting Entities to:
- Upload a single or multiple STR returns in XML format. You can also firstly complete the form in the FIU GoAML system and download the generated XML to upload in Revenue.
- Complete and submit an online form detailing suspicious activity. This file can be saved and later uploaded to the FIU GoAML system.
- Save attachments.
- Receive on-line acknowledgements of STRs submitted.
What you need to use the service
To use the service, you need:
- Revenue Online Service (ROS) login details and a valid ROS digital certificate.
- To register on ROS for STR reporting obligations. The FIU Organisation ID, which is available on the FIU GoAML website is required for STR registration.
- A ROS sub-user certificate for all MLROs for STR reporting. This can be done using the Admin Services tab on ROS.
How to access the service
Reporting Entities must firstly be registered for ROS and have a digital certificate.
You can then register for STR Reporting using the following steps:
- Click on ‘Manage Reporting Obligations’ on the ‘My Frequently Used Services’ screen.
- Click on ‘Register’ for STR Reporting.
- Input the registration date and FIU number (see above). The status for STR reporting will change to ‘In Request’.
- Complete the ‘Sign and Submit’ process. It may take two or three days for this to be reflected in ROS.
- Create a new ROS sub-user certificate for all MLROs for STR reporting. This can be done using the Admin Services tab.
Once you have successfully completed the eRegistration process, you will then be able to file a STR online through ‘My Frequently Used Services’ by selecting ‘Complete a Form Online’.
For further guidance please refer to the Quick guide to submitting STRs online.
It is important to emphasise that the requirement for dual reporting to Revenue and to the FIU remains. Therefore, all STR files must be saved so that they can be uploaded to the FIU GoAML system.
If you have any queries in relation to the submission of STRs, please email: Suspicious_Transactions_Unit@revenue.ie.