Paying the Duty

Stamp Certificates

Stamp Duty receipt and stamp certificate

When you file the return and pay the Stamp Duty liability, Revenue Online Service (ROS) will issue a stamp certificate to your inbox. You should print the stamp certificate and attach it to the instrument (written document). The stamp certificate, when attached to the instrument, means that the instrument has been stamped. The stamp certificate is also your receipt.

If you filed the return on behalf of the accountable person, you should give the accountable person a copy of the stamp certificate for their records.

Stamp certificate replacement

If you filed the original Stamp Duty return through ROS, you can:

  • access
  • view
  • and
  • print

a stamp certificate by means of the ROS search and retrieve facility.

You can use the ROS third party search facility to view a copy of the stamp certificate if:

  • you are registered for ROS
  • and
  • you did not file the original Stamp Duty return.

For more information on these search facilities, see the Online services section.

If you have a problem printing a replacement certificate, you can write to the National Stamp Duty Office and request a replacement certificate. In your letter you should include any information about the case and the reason why you are making the request. If you are acting on behalf of the accountable person, you should include a copy of their authorisation. Once Revenue is satisfied that your request is genuine, we will issue a replacement stamp certificate to you.

Lost instruments

If Revenue stamped your instrument on, or after, 30 December 2009, you should:

  • access the Stamp Duty return on ROS
  • and
  • print a copy of the original certificate.

You can attach this certificate to the replacement instrument provided that the replacement instrument is:

  • between the same parties
  • for the same purpose
  • and
  • has the same date

as the original instrument.

If Revenue stamped your original instrument before 30 December 2009, you must complete a paper Stamp Duty return. You can request this paper return from the National Stamp Duty Office. In your request, please include the following:

  • the reason why you need a paper return
  • the Document ID of the original instrument - you will find this on your Stamp Duty return
  • and
  • a description of the type of instrument involved.

When you complete your paper return, you should send it to the National Stamp Duty Office with the following:

  • a legal declaration by a person who knows the facts covering:
  • the date Revenue stamped the original instrument
  • evidence of its stamping
  • evidence that you lost the original instrument
  • copy of letters or emails (if any) with Revenue on the stamping of the original instrument
  • copy of letters or emails (if any) with the postal service or courier firm relating to the lost instrument
  • a copy (front and back) of the:
    • cashed cheque
    • bank draft
    • or
    • payable order used to pay Stamp Duty on the original instrument if stamped with imprest stamps by Revenue before September 2000
  • and
  • an undertaking that, if you find the lost instrument, you will surrender it to Revenue.


There is an option in the Stamp Duty return to indicate if you need counterpart (duplicate) stamp certificates. If you do, you should select the option and enter the number of counterparts involved. You need to pay €12.50 Stamp Duty for each counterpart. If the duty on the original instrument is less than €12.50, you pay that lesser amount for each counterpart.

Next: What happens if you file and pay late?