Claiming a tax refund if you are unemployed

Your employer should notify Revenue when you leave your job. They will include a date of cessation on your final payroll submission. This will show the following details for the year (up to the date of leaving employment):

This will be available to you to view through myAccount.

See Periods of unemployment for details of how to claim a refund of tax and USC if you are unemployed.


Where your old employer fails to notify us you have finished, you can use myAccount to cease your old job.

Select ‘Update Job or Pension Details’ on the PAYE Services card to do so.