What do you need to know about tax?

If you are at school or college, you may have questions about your first job and paying tax. This section will give you information about this.

See the What is PAYE? section for more information about paying tax.

What do you pay tax on?

You pay tax on all the money you earn from your job. This includes overtime, bonuses and non-cash pay (see Taxation of employer benefits). The amount of tax you pay depends on how much you are paid and the amount of tax credits you have.

You do not pay any tax on:

  • scholarship income
  • interest from Saving Certificates, Savings Bonds and National Investment Savings Schemes with An Post
  • payments to pension schemes.

Starting your first job

You may start working for the first time as a student. Your first job might be part time, or full time if you are taking a paid placement.

See Starting your first job for details on what you need to do to register your first job.

Leaving a job to attend college or school

If you leave a job to return to full time education, you may be entitled to claim tax back. See Periods of unemployment for more information on what to do when you leave a job.

College tuition fees

If you pay fees to attend college, university or a training course, you may be able to claim relief. If someone is paying these fees on your behalf, they can claim this relief. See Tuition fees for more information on what you can claim and what courses qualify.

Leaving Ireland to work abroad

You may leave Ireland to work in another country. Your tax will be affected by the date you leave and the length of time you work abroad for.

See Leaving Ireland for more information on how leaving can affect your taxes.

Coming to Ireland to work

You may come to live and work in Ireland. See Moving or returning to Ireland for more information about moving or returning to Ireland.