Irish rental income

How do you declare your rental income?

You must declare your rental income on your annual tax return. If your net rental income is less than €5,000, use myAccount to declare it through your Income Tax Return. You can do this by following these steps.

2019 and subsequent years:

  1. Sign into myAccount.
  2. Click on the ‘Review your tax’ link in 'PAYE Services'.
  3. Request a 'Statement of Liability'.
  4. Click on 'Complete Income Tax Return'.
  5. In the ‘Non-PAYE income’ page, select ‘Other income’ and add ‘Rental Income’.
  6. Complete and submit the form.

If your net rental income is over €5,000, you will have to register for Self assessment. Use Revenue Online Service (ROS) to declare your rental income in your Form 11. Further information on completing an Income Tax Return (Form 11) can be found in Filing your tax return.

If you have rental income from a property outside Ireland, please see the Foreign rental income section for additional information.

If you sell one of your rental properties, you may have to pay Capital Gains Tax (CGT).

Non-resident landlords

If you are a non-resident landlord, you can claim a credit for the tax deducted by your tenant. Prior to 01 July 2023, you were required to submit a Form R185 with your tax return to claim this. From 01 July 2023, a new procedure applies. For further information, please see Non-Resident Landlord Withholding Tax (NLWT).

You may choose to use the services of a collection agent. Prior to 01 July 2023, a collection agent would file an Income Tax Return on your behalf. From 01 July 2023, a collection agent is no longer obliged to file a return on your behalf. They may instead deduct and remit tax using the new NLWT system. For further information, please see Non-Resident Landlord Withholding Tax (NLWT).

Rent-a-Room Relief

If you rent out a room, or rooms, in your sole, or main, residence as residential accommodation, you may qualify for Rent-a-Room Relief.