Help to Buy (HTB) incentive
How much can you claim?
The amount that you can claim is the lesser of:
- €20,000 (increased to €30,000 for enhanced relief)
- 5% of the purchase price of a new home. For self-builds this is 5% of the approved valuation of the property. This has been increased to 10% for those qualifying for enhanced relief.
- the amount of Income Tax and Deposit Interest Retention Tax (DIRT) you have paid for the four years before you make your application.
The maximum payment is €20,000 per property (increased to €30,000 for enhanced relief). This cap applies regardless of how many people enter into a contract to buy a house.
Universal Social Charge (USC) or Pay Related Social Insurance (PRSI) are not taken into account when calculating how much you can claim.
Enhanced Help to Buy Scheme
As part of the Government's July Jobs Stimulus package an enhanced HTB incentive was introduced for the remainder of 2020. The Finance Act 2020 extended this to 31 December 2021..
During the period from 23 July 2020 to 31 December 2021, applicants will be eligible for increased relief if they:
- sign a contract for the purchase of a new house or apartment
- make the first draw down of the mortgage in the case of a self-build property,
The maximum HTB refund is calculated at the lesser of:
- €30,000 (up from €20,000)
- 10% (up from 5%) of the purchase price of a new home. For self-builds this is 10% (up from 5%) of the approved valuation of the property.
- the amount of Income Tax and Deposit Interest Retention Tax (DIRT) you have paid for the four years prior
to making the application.
Applicants that made a HTB application under the original scheme, may satisfy the enhanced HTB requirements.
For further details please see Help to Buy (HTB) Part 15-01-46 and Summary Guide for Help to Buy Applicants.
How will the refund be paid?
If you bought or built the property between 19 July 2016 and 31 December 2016, the refund will be paid directly to you.
If you buy a new build after 1 January 2017, the refund will be paid to the contractor.
If you self-build the property after 1 January 2017, the refund will be paid to a bank account you hold with your loan provider.
Next: What do you need to do before you apply?